Home, Auto and Life Insurance can play a big part in your overall protection plan. It is there to “make you whole” when you really need it but, should insurance be the only part of your protection plan? While protection such as insurance is very important, the best form of protection is prevention! What simple steps can you take to prevent suffering a loss in the first place?
Let’s start with some protection tips for your home:
- Maintaining your roof, furnace, wiring, gutters, etc. will go a long way in preventing damage.
- Keeping walkways and stairs clear can help prevent slips and falls.
- Install deadbolt latches for added security. Thieves can easily spread a doorframe enough to bypass a regular door latch. Even better… consider an alarm system and receive a discount on your insurance.
- Never leave open flame such as candles and stove burners unattended.
- Have adequate exterior lighting and keep shrubs next to the home trimmed to prevent hiding places.
- Close and lock ground floor windows and doors while you are away from the home, even if it’s a quick trip to the store. Thieves watch homes and quickly grab opportunities.
If you’re away for an extended period:
- Cancel newspaper delivery or ask your neighbour to pick up your papers and keep an eye on your home.
- Use light timers for a “lived in” look.
- Especially in the winter, have someone check your home daily.
Some protection tips for your vehicle:
- Always lock your vehicle when unattended.
- Never leave packages visible in your vehicle as thieves can quickly smash your window, grab your laptop, phone, gifts and be gone in seconds. Place these items in the trunk without drawing too much attention.
- Keep your vehicle well maintained, including the brakes.
- Drive defensively:
- Avoid distractions like using a smartphone.
- Use turn signals so others can spot your intentions.
- Leave enough space between you and the driver ahead. A good rule of thumb is to allow
- Two seconds from the time that driver reaches a landmark until you reach that same landmark.
- Follow the speed limit and reduce speed during inclement weather. Never drived while impaired. The cost is too high!
Personal Protection tips:
- ALWAYS trust your instincts! #1!
- Be aware of your surrounding at all times.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Be careful how much you share online with strangers. Posting vacation shots on Facebook while away can tempt a thief to try and track down your empty home’s location.
I hope you find these protection tips useful. Even implementing just a few of these tips can go a long way towards enhancing your protection!
I’m posting some of my favorite tips I’ve learned over the years studying Martial Arts. I find they can be applied to non-martial artists too!
BlackBelt Protection Philosophy – “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now”.